Team Members and Volunteers
If you work or volunteer for a youth organization, you are doing a valuable deed helping future generations find their footing. Leadership skills are one important lesson you can teach your adolescent charges. Conversely, working with teens will also give you a chance to hone your leadership abilities.
Rise helps young people thrive with youth programs designed to build empowered adults. This guide explains how youth organization team members and volunteers can boost teens’ leadership skills—and their own.
Hone Your Own Leadership Skills
By honing your own skills, you can better serve the teens you want to help.
- Educate yourself about the types of leaders and identify your own leadership style.
- Find a mentor who can provide encouragement and foster your leadership abilities.
- Enroll in a degree program via an online institute like the University of Phoenix to further your education and get the knowledge you need to become a better leader.
- Hone your communication skills, which are critical for leadership.
Help Teens Tap Into Their Leadership Potential
Give young people the confidence they need to unleash their leadership power.
- Get teens to take part in youth programs that expose them to other people.
- Talk to teens about what makes for a good mentor and help them find someone to fill this role in their lives.
- Teach the basic skills needed for leadership, like collaboration and negotiation.
- Tackle anti-social behavior head-on, ensuring it doesn’t become a habit.
Put Your Newfound Talents to the Test
Regular practice will help you and your adolescent charges perfect your leadership abilities.
- Use practical exercises to improve your own and your teen charges’ speaking skills.
- Try out human resources games designed to enhance negotiation abilities.
- Reward displays of leadership by printing out DIY certificates.
Working with young people can be rewarding emotionally and practically. Follow the tips above to give youngsters the confidence they need to become natural leaders. With these tips, you’ll be able to sharpen your own leadership acumen in the process.